|Professor J.S. Perry Hobson
Pro Vice Chancellor - Global Engagement
PhD, Doctor of Philosophy (Tourism) SOUTHERN CROSS UNIVERSITY, Lismore, Australia, 2003
M.S. Hotel, Restaurant & Travel Administration, UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS at Amherst, USA. 1988
B.Sc. (Honours) Hotel & Catering Management, OXFORD POLYTECHNIC (now Oxford Brookes University), Oxford, UK. 1986
Peer Reviewed Papers
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
Awards & Honours
- Consumer Behaviour in Tourism
- International students and travel patterns
- Tourism and Shopping
- Innovation in Hospitality and Tourism
- Marketing of tourism destinations
- International education
- Global mobility and students
- The international student experience
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Tse, P. and Hobson, J.S.P. (2008) “Assessing China’s Outbound Tourism Policy”, Journal of China Tourism Research. Vol. 4 (2) pp. 136-155
- Hobson, J.S.P and Gu, H. (2008). “The Dragon is roaring – Development of tourism, hospitality and event management education in China”. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, Vol. 20 (1) pp. 20-29.
- Hobson,, J.S.P..(2003). The case for more exploratory and grounded tourism research, Pacific Tourism Review, Vol. 6 (2), pp. 73-81
- Hobson, J.S. P. and Christensen, M. (2001). Cultural and structural issues affecting Japanese tourist shopping behaviour. Asia-Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 6 (1), pp. 37-45
- Hobson, J.S.P. (1996) Violent crime in the U.S. hospitality workplace: Facing up to the problem. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 8 (4), pp. 3-10
- Williams, P.W., & Hobson, J.S.P. (1995, September). Virtual reality and tourism: Fact or fiction? Tourism Management , Vol. 16 (6), pp. 423-427
- Hobson, J.S.P. & Mak, B. (1995). Home visit and community-based tourism: Hong Kong's family insight tour. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. Vol. 3 (4), pp. 179-190
- Josiam, B. & Hobson J.S.P. (1995, Summer). Consumer choice in context: The decoy effect in travel and tourism. Journal of Travel Research , Vol. 34 (1), pp. 45-50
- Hobson, J.S.P. & Ko, M. (1995, August). Counterfeit credit cards: How to protect hotel guests. Cornell HRA Quarterly, Vol. 36 (4), pp. 48-53
- Hobson, J.S.P. (1995, May). Macau: Gambling on its future? Tourism Management, Vol. 16 (3), pp. 237-243
- Hobson, J.S.P. (1994). Feng Shui: Its impacts on the Asian hospitality industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 6 (6), pp. 21-26. Paper received a 1995 MCB University Press, Literati Club, "Highly Commended" Award for Excellence.
- Hobson, J.S.P. (1999). “An overview comparison of US, UK and Australian hospitality education and their university systems”. In (eds) Barrows, C., & Bossleman, R., Hospitality & Tourism Education, New York: Haworth Press
- Hobson, J.S.P. (1999). “Understanding Tourism: A destination perspective”. In (ed) Borchgrevik, C. Perspectives on Hospitality Management. Kendall/Hunt: Dubuque, Chp. 3, pp.63-87
- Josiam, B., Clements, C. & Hobson, J.S.P. (1994). Breaking the stereotypes of youth travel: Understanding the spring break market. In (eds) Seaton A.V. et al, Tourism: The State of the Art, Chichester, UK: Wiley & Sons, pp. 322-331
- Davidson, M., Wilkins, H., King, B. Hobson, J.S.P., Craig-Smith, S. Gardiner, S. (2010). “Travel Behaviour of International Students in Australia: Opportunities for the Industry”. Proceedings of the 21st CAUTHE Conference. UniSA, Adelaide, Australia.
- Hobson, J.S.P. and Archer, W. (2007). “The experiences of international students studying tourism, hotel and events in Australia”. Association of Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE). St Anne’s College, Oxford, UK. Conference Abstracts, p. 8.
- Tse, T and Hobson, J.S.P, (2007). The Forces Shaping China’s Outbound Tourism. In Proceedings of the 5th APacCHRIE and 13th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Joint Conference, Beijing International Studies University, Beijing, China. Conference. Tourism Education Press. Conference Abstracts, p. 122.
- Leiper, N, Hobson, J.S.P., and Lewis P. (2007). “You say Tomayto, I say Tomharto: Shall we Dance? Resolving misunderstanding between managers in tourism industries and academics in universities”. In Proceedings of the 5th APacCHRIE and 13th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Joint Conference, Beijing International Studies University, Beijing, China. Tourism Education Press. Conference Abstracts, P. 127
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2005, May). Developing Industry-Education Partnerships: A case study of what has worked and what has not. Hospitality & Tourism in Asia: Charting our Future through Education and Research. Proceedings of the 3rd annual APacCHRIE annual conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Hobson, J.S. P. (2005, April). Making Industry-Education Partnerships Work - The Experiences of Southern Cross University in Australia. Proceedings of the PATA Educator’s Forum, PATA, IFT-Macau (ISBN 962-367-458-9).
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2003). “Barriers to Tourist Shopping”. In Proceedings of the 2003 APTA Conference, Sydney published by UTS. p.78.
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2017). Invited Speaker, “Changing Demographics Across Asia – The Implications”, APAIE Annual Conference, Kaohsiung, Taiwan https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/changing-demographics-asia...
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2017). Invited Speaker; “Delivering an Outstanding Student Experience”, 1st International Student: Attraction and Engagement Summit Asia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. https://www.hotcoursesgroup.com/event/international-student-attraction-e... and https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/delivering-outstanding-stu...
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2016). Speaker, “Recruiting with Integrity: Issues, Trends and Remedies”. 12th QS-APPLE conference, Putrajaya, Malaysia. https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/recruiting-international-s...
- Hobson, J.S.P (2016). Invited Keynote Speaker, “Innovation in Hospitality & Tourism”. Tourism, Gastronomy and Destinations Conference. Trisakti University, Jakarta,Indonesia. https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/innovate-or-your-business-...
- Hobson, J.S.P (2016). Invited Panelist “What does it mean to be a Global Connected Citizen?” 3rd Bett Asia Conference and Exhibition, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/educating-for-global-citiz...
- Hobson, J.S. P (2016). “TNE: Mobility; Raising the Bar”. OBHE Global Forum 2016 Brain Gain: charting the impact and future of TNE. Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/the-future-of-transnationa...
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2016). Invited Speaker “Continuity and Change: Transnational Education in Malaysia”. IEAA Special Interest Group Symposium, Melbourne, Australia. http://www.ieaa.org.au/special-interest-groups/transnational-education and https://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/transnational-education-ta...
- Hobson, J.S.P (2016). Invited Keynote Speaker. “Change and Disruption: The Need for Re-thinking Innovation Education in Hospitality & Tourism”. International Conference on Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure. JinWen University of Technology (JUST). Taipei, Taiwan. http://university.taylors.edu.my/news-events/taylors-professor-invited-t...
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2015). Invited Panelist. on the “A View from the Editors” at the Consumer Behaviour in Tourism Symposium (CBTS), UAS Munich, Germany. (See http://www.cbts2015.org/)
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2015). Invited Panelist “Taking Learning Beyond the Classroom”. The 9th THE-ICE International Panel of Experts Forum, hosted by UAS Stenden, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. (See http://the-ice.org/events/international-panel-of-experts/)
- Hobson, J.S.P. (2015). Invited Keynote Speaker “ The Need for Innovation and Innovative Thinking”. Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) annual conference. Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), UK. (See http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/hollings/conferences/chme-manchester/keynote-speak...)
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Editor-in-Chief - Journal of Vacation Marketing (1999-to date). SSCI index journal.
- Visiting Professor (2006-to date) MCi, Innsbruck, Austria
- PhD Examiner for James Cook University, Australia (2016); Edith Cowan University, Australia, (2015); University of Queensland, Australia (2013 & 2014); University of Sydney, Australia, (2011); University of Waikato, New Zealand (2008, 2009 & 2014).
- Board Member, Competence Centre for Tourism Management and Tourism Economics (TOMTE). University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy. 2008- to present https://www.unibz.it/en/economics/research/TOMTE competence centre.html
- Co-Editor: Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 2006-2009
Awards & Honours
- Honorary Fellow of CHME (2017). Recognised for contribution to education and research with a Honorary Fellowship from the UK-based Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME). http://www.chme.org.uk/about-us/fellows/
- Fellow of CAUTHE (2014). Elected to the ‘College’ of the Council for Australasian University Tourism & Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) for substantial and sustained contribution to hospitality and tourism education and research and service to CAUTHE. http://cauthe.org/services/memberships/fellow
- Platinum Award – Tourism Training Australia (2004). Received this industry award for my personal contribution to the development of life-long learning opportunities for individuals in the industry, http://www.tourismtraining.com.au/
- Recognition for Research Standing: Identified in three separate refereed articles over in the A* journal Tourism Management as being amongst the world’s top tourism researchers:
- Ryan, C (2005). “The ranking and rating of academics and journals in tourism research”. Tourism Management. Vol 26, pp.657-662 (identified as being 27th out of 52 academics listed by journal articles published in the period 1990-2004). See http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261517704001128
- Jogaratnam, G, Chon, K, McClearly, K Mena, M, Yoo, J (2005). “An analysis of institutional contributors to three major tourism journals: 1992-2001”. Tourism Management, Vol 26, pp.641-648 (identified as a leading researcher and listed as being 35th = out of 45 international scholars listed).. See http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261517704001116
- Zhao, W and Ritchie, JRB (2007). “An investigation of academic leadership in tourism research: 1985-2004”. Tourism Management, Vol 28, pp. 476-490 (listed in Category 1 of the “expanded list of leading tourism scholars” being identified as someone “who had made a substantial contribution to the field”). See http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261517706000501
- Member of the Board of Directors (and former CEO), International Centre of Excellence for Tourism and Hospitality Education (ICE-THE). 2011-to present
- Member and Past President, Council of Australasian Universities in Hospitality & Tourism Education (CAUTHE), 1995-present
- Member, and Past Vice-President, Travel & Toursim Research Association Asia-Pacific Chapter (TTRA-Apac), 2011 to present
- Past President, Asia-Pacific Chapter for the Council for Hospitality,Restaurant and Instititonal Educators (ApacCHRIE)
- Board Member, Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA). 2005-to date http://www.apta.asia/