|Assoc Prof Dr Anthony Ho Siong Hock
Pro Vice-Chancellor Research & Enterprise
PhD in Animal Biotechnology, University Putra Malaysia. BSc in Physiology (Hon), University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Bioactive Natural Products
- Cancer Biology
- Human Physiology
- Isolation and characterisation of bioactive compounds from natural sources
- Investigating mechanisms of cell death induced by natural compounds
- Development of assays in drug discovery
Research Grants Awarded
- Elucidating the mechanisms of action of 2-methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone (MNQ) in mediating cell cycle arrest, apoptosis and anti-metastasis in human cancer cell lines. MOHE FRGS (2012-2014)
- Malaysian Taste, Obesity, Sensorial & Sociological responses of different ethnic groups. Taylor’s University Cluster Grant (2012-2014)
- Investigation of key proteins and signaling pathways affected by the natural cytotoxic compound 2-methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone (MNQ) in human cancer cell lines. Taylor’s University Research Grant (2010-2011)
- An investigation of the combined efficacy of light activated photosensitizing compounds and chemotherapeutic agents on human cancer cell lines. MOSTI ScienceFund (2006-2009)
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Jeremy Yee Hoong Ong, Phelim Voon Chen Yong, Yang Mooi Lim, AnthonySiong Hock Ho. 2-Methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone (MNQ) induces apoptosis of A549 lung adenocarcinoma cells via oxidation-triggered JNK and p38 MAPK signaling pathways. Life Sciences 135(2015):158:164.
- Kitson Liew, Phelim Voon Chen Yong, Yang Mooi Lim, Visveswaran Navaratnam, Anthony Siong Hock Ho. Differential proteomic analysis on the effects of 2-methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone towards MDA-MB-231cell line. Phytomedicine. 22(2015):517-527.
- Kitson Liew, Phelim Voon Chen Yong, Yang Mooi Lim, Visveswaran Navaratnam, Anthony Siong Hock Ho. 2-Methoxy-1,4-Naphthoquinone (MNQ) Suppresses The Invasion and Migration of a Human Metastatic Breast Cancer Cell Line (MDA-MB-231). Toxicology in Vitro, 28 (2014) 335-339.
- Wan Wui Jong, Fadzly Adzhar Kamarulzaman, Michele Mejin, Pei Jean Tan, Diana Lim, Ida Ang, Margarita Naming, Tiong Chia Yeo, Anthony Ho Siong Hock, Soo Hwang Teo and Hong Boon Lee. Photodynamic Activity of Plant Extracts from Sarawak Borneo. Chemistry & Biodiversity. Aug 2013;10(8):1475-86.
- Tan Hor Yue, Anthony Ho Siong Hock, Lim Chan Kiang and Lim Yang Mooi. Phenylethanoid Glycosides Isolated from Paraboea paniculata. 2012 . Natural Product Communications Vol. 7 Number 6, Pages 775-778.
- Wei Hsum Yap, Kong Soo Khoo, Anthony Siong Hock Ho, Yang Mooi Lim, 2012. Maslinic acid induces HO-1 and NOQ1 expression via activation of Nrf2 transcription factor. Biomedicine & Preventive Nutrition 2 (2012) 51–58
- Yee Voon Tang, Siew Moi Phang, Wan Loy Chu, Anthony Ho, Soo Hwang Teo and Hong Boon Lee 2012. Cyclic tetrapyrrolic photosensitizers from Cladophora patentiramea (Cladophoraceae, Chlorophyta) and Turbinaria conoides (Sargassaceae, Phaeophyta) for photodynamic therapy. Journal of Applied Phycology. Volume 24, Issue 4, pp 783-790.
- Siang Hui Lim, Hong Boon Lee, Anthony Siong Hock Ho, 2011. A New Naturally Derived Photosensitizer and Its Phototoxicity on Head and Neck Cancer Cells. Photochemistry and Photobiology Volume 87, Issue 5, pages 1152–1158, September/October 2011.
- Cheng Yi Ong, Sui Kiong Ling, Rasadah Mat Ali, Chin Fei Chee, Zainon Abu Samah, Anthony Siong Hock Ho, Soo Hwang Teo, Hong Boon Lee. 2009. Systematic analysis of in vitro photo-cytotoxic activity in extracts from terrestrial plants in Peninsula Malaysia for photodynamic therapy. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, Volume 96, Issue 3, Pages 216-222
- Lee H.B., Ho A.S.H., Teo S. H. 2006. p53 status does not affect photodynamic cell killing induced by Hypericin. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. Vol 58:1, 91-98.
- Differential Protein Expression in Human Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia Cell Line (K562) following exposure to 2-Methoxy-1,4-Naphthoquinone isolated from Impatiens balsamina Linn. 6th World Cancer Congress, 23-25th May 2013, Xi’an, China.
- Differential Proteomic Analysis on the Effects of 2-Methoxy-1,4-Napthoquinone (MNQ) Towards a Human Metastatic Breast Cancer Cell Line (MDA-MB-231), Molecular Medicine Conference, 19th-22nd Dec 2012, Bangkok, Thailand
- Proteomic profiling of Cryptococcus neoformans capsule/cell wall proteins and in vitro modulation of host alveolar epithelial cell actin upon infection. 36th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 27th - 28th July 2011, Eastin Hotel, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
- 2-Methoxy-1,4-Naphthoquinone(MNQ) inhibits the invasion and migration of a human metastatic breast cancer cell line (MDA-MB-231) in vitro. 38th Annual Conference of the MSBMB, 28-29th August 2013, Putrajaya.
- Proteomic Analysis of cytotoxic effects by 2-methoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone (2MNQ) treatment in human chronic myelogenous leukemia cell line (K562). UK-Malaysia Symposium on Drug Discovery & Development for Cancer, 24th – 25th February 2010, Grand Dorsett Hotel, Subang Jaya.
- Investigation of the Cytotoxic Effect of 2-Methoxy-1,4-Napthoquinone on Human Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Cell Line (K562) using a proteomics approach. 34th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 7th – 8th October 2009, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Identification of Potential Photosensitizers for Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer from Malaysian Microorganisms. European Science Foundation –COST High Level Research Conference. 18th -23rd May 2008, Italy.
- Identification of Photo-cytotoxic derivatives of Pheophorbide-a and -b from Piper Penangense. 5th International Conference on Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines 6th -11th July 2008, Moscow, Russia.
- Bioassay guided isolation of cytotoxic compounds from Hydrocotyle vulgaris. 33rd Annual Conference of The Malaysian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 27 & 28 August 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Hypericin-Mediated Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) in Combination with Doxorubicin Exhibits Synergistic Cell Killing on Human Oral Cancer Cell Lines. International PSE Symposium on Natural Products in Cancer Therapy. 23rd -26th September 2008 Naples, Italy.
- Chair, Scientific Committee, 36th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 27th - 28th July 2011, Eastin Hotel, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
- Chair, Treasury, 37th-40th Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 2012-2015.
- Secretariat, 41st Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 17-18th August 2016, Kuala Lumpur.
- Invited Speaker, Regional Fundamental Science Congress 2011, 5th – 6th July 2011, Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- Invited Speaker, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman International Conference in Chinese Medicine (ICCM), 22nd - 23rd September 2012, Kuala Lumpur.
- Invited Speaker, UK-Malaysia Symposium on Drug Discovery & Development for Cancer, 24th – 25th February 2010, Grand Dorsett Hotel, Subang Jaya.
- Article reviewer for 9 international peer reviewed journals.
- External Examiner for 3 MSc & 3 PhD students.
- Graduated 5 MSc and 2 PhD students as main supervisor.
- Secretary, Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Life member, Malaysian Biosafety & Biosecurity Association
- Life member, Laboratory Animal Science Association of Malaysia (LASAM)