|Dr Looi Chung Yeng
Ph.D. in Medical Science (Tohoku University, Japan)
M.Sc. in Medical Science (Tohoku University, Japan)
B.Sc. (First class Hons) Biomedical Science (University Putra Malaysia)
- Drug design and development
- High content screening and analyses
- Bioassay-guided isolation and identification of bioactive compounds
- Immunophenotyping, cloning, recombinant DNA and protein techniques
- Elucidating drug targets and mechanism of action by using cell-line and animal models
- Evaluation of natural/synthetic compounds for anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activities
- Understanding carcinogenesis and immunological disorders using molecular and biochemical analyses
- Explore novel interventions in cancer and immunological disorders
Research Grants Awarded
- Investigating the importance of Edible Bird Nest in the management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes, MOA (2015-2017)
- A possible mechanistic action of Vernodalin against breast cancer cells. Through the interaction of PI3k/Foxo3 signaling pathways and therapeutics intervention, University Malaya Research Grants Program (2014- 2017)
- Transcription control of Runx1 during plasma cell differentiation and antibody secretion (co-PI), FRGS (2014-2017)
- Anti-viral effects of in-house Malaysian plant extracts collection towards JEV infections in neuronal cells, UMRG (2012-2014)
- Molecular Mechanism of Drug Action (co-PI), High Impact Research Grants (HIRG) (2011-2016)
- Open conformation of WASP is crucial for nuclear localization and regulation of gene transcription in myeloid cells, Tohoku University Booster Research Grant (2009)
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Du W, Kumaki S, Uchiyama T, Yachie A, Looi CY, Kawai S, Minegishi M, Ramesh N, Geha RS, Sasahara Y, Tsuchiya S. A second-site mutation in the initiation codon of WAS (WASP) results in expansion of subsets of lymphocytes in an Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome patient. Human mutation 2006, 27(4): 370-375.
- Watanabe Y, Sasahara Y, Ramesh N, Massaad MJ, Looi CY, Kumaki S, Kure S, Geha RS, Tsuchiya S. T-cell receptor ligation causes Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein degradation and F-actin assembly downregulation. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2013, 132(3): 648-655 e641.
- Looi CY, Sasahara Y, Watanabe Y, Satoh M, Hakozaki I, Uchiyama M, Wong WF, Du W, Uchiyama T, Kumaki S, Tsuchiya S, Kure S. The open conformation of WASP regulates its nuclear localization and gene transcription in myeloid cells. International immunology 2014, 26(6): 341-352.
- Looi CY, Imanishi M, Takaki S, Sato M, Chiba N, Sasahara Y, Futaki S, Tsuchiya S, Kumaki S. Octa-arginine mediated delivery of wild-type Lnk protein inhibits TPO-induced M-MOK megakaryoblastic leukemic cell growth by promoting apoptosis. PloS one 2011, 6(8): e23640.
- Wong WF, Kohu K, Nakamura A, Ebina M, Kikuchi T, Tazawa R, Tanaka K, Kon S, Funaki T, Sugahara-Tobinai A, Looi CY, Endo S, Funayama R, Kurokawa M, Habu S, Ishii N, Fukumoto M, Nakata K, Takai T, Satake M. Runx1 deficiency in CD4+ T cells causes fatal autoimmune inflammatory lung disease due to spontaneous hyperactivation of cells. Journal of immunology 2012, 188(11): 5408-5420.
- Looi CY, Arya A, Cheah FK, Muharram B, Leong KH, Mohamad K, Wong WF, Rai N, Mustafa MR. Induction of apoptosis in human breast cancer cells via caspase pathway by vernodalin isolated from Centratherum anthelminticum (L.) seeds. PloS one 2013, 8(2): e56643.
- Wu YS, Looi CY, Subramaniam KS, Masamune A, Chung I. Soluble factors from stellate cells induce pancreatic cancer cell proliferation via Nrf2-activated metabolic reprogramming and ROS detoxification. Oncotarget 2016, 7(24): 36719-36732.
- Shanmugam MK, Lee JH, Chai EZ, Kanchi MM, Kar S, Arfuso F, Dharmarajan A, Kumar AP, Ramar PS, Looi CY, Mustafa MR, Tergaonkar V, Bishayee A, Ahn KS, Sethi G. Cancer prevention and therapy through the modulation of transcription factors by bioactive natural compounds. Seminars in cancer biology 2016, 40-41: 35-47.
- Mbous YP, Hayyan M, Hayyan A, Wong WF, Hashim MA, Looi CY. Applications of deep eutectic solvents in biotechnology and bioengineering-Promises and challenges. Biotechnology advances 2017, 35(2): 105-134.
- Dai X, Wang L, Deivasigamni A, Looi CY, Karthikeyan C, Trivedi P, Chinnathambi A, Alharbi SA, et al. A novel benzimidazole derivative, MBIC inhibits tumor growth and promotes apoptosis via activation of ROS-dependent JNK signaling pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncotarget 2017, 8(8): 12831-12842.
- Ahmed Fadhil Neama, Chung Yeng Looi and Won Fen Wong (2017). "Multiple Players in the Mechanical Control of T Cell Quiescences", Editor: Gheorghita Isvoranu. Publisher: InTech.
Patent Intellectual Property Rights
- Patent Application No. : PI2015700502: Vernodalin used to modulate AKT/FOXO3A/BIM pathway for apoptosis of human breast cancer cells
- Patent Application No. : PI2015701446: A medicament for treating inflammation by inhibiting transactivation and translocation of NF-κB
- Patent Application No. : PI 2015000054: Nickel (II) complex of polyhydroxybenzaldehyde N4-thiosemicarbazone inhibits virus infection
- Tan GMY, Looi CY, Phan AY, Vadivelu J, Loke MF, Wong WF (2014). Inhibition of aurora B kinase, cyclins and CDKs transcription by Helicobacter pylori attenuates cell cycle progression in monocytic macrophage cells. Malaysian Journal of Pathology 2014; 36(3) : 223 – 242. Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, University Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia on 16-17 October, 2014.
- Yeow TC, Sabet NS, Wong WF, Sulaiman S, Tan GMY, Looi CY, Esakimuthu S, Gupta A, Sazaly AB. Plasmid-bearing Chlamydia trachomatis is associated with severe clinical presentations among genital chlamydial infected patients. Malaysian Journal of Pathology 2014; 36(3) : 223 – 242. Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, University Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia on 16-17 October, 2014.
- Looi CY, Arya A and Mustafa M. Anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic activities of the methanolic fraction of Centratherum anthelminticum seed in STZ nicotinamide-induced type 2 diabetic rat. Frontiers in Immunology. 2013; doi: 10.3389/conf.fimmu.2013.02.01146. 15th International Congress of Immunology (ICI), Milan, Italy. August, 2013.
- Wong WF, Nakamura A, Looi CY, Satake M, Kohu K. Runx1-deficiency in CD4+ T Cells Causes Fatal Autoimmune Inflammatory Lung Disease due to Spontaneous Hyperactivation of Cells. Frontiers in Immunology. 2013; doi: 10.3389/conf.fimmu.2013.02.00799. 15th International Congress of Immunology (ICI), Milan, Italy. August, 2013.
- Uchiyama T, Kumaki S , Onodera M, Du W, Looi CY, Sasahara Y and Tsuchiya S (2005). Application of a suicide gene to X-SCID gene therapy. Molecular Therapy. 11, S134; doi: 10.1016/j.ymthe.2005.06.347. 8th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene Therapy, Saint Lious, MO, USA.
- Looi CY. Open conformation of WASP is crucial for nuclear localization and regulation of gene transcription in myeloid cells. Primary Immunodeficiency Conference, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan, 2009.
- Looi CY, Sasahara Y, Futaki S, Tsuchiya S, and Kumaki S. Microarray analysis of constitutively activating mutation WASP L270P. Global Center of Excellence (GCOE), National University of Singapore-Tohoku University (NUS-TOHOKU) joint Conference, Singapore, 2007.
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience
- Production Scientist in Tessa Therapeutics (2016 – 2017)
- Senior Research Fellow in University of Malaya (2013 – 2016)
- Research Fellow in University of Malaya (2011 – 2013)
- Post-doc in Institute of Development, Aging, and Cancer (IDAC, Japan) (2011)
- Research biologist in Sumitomo Chemical (2003-2004)
- Part time lecturer in School of Biosciences, Taylor’s University (2014 – 2016)
- Consultant, Advanced Imaging Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya
- Invited speaker. Can we rely on natural products for cancer prevention and therapy? Research Week 2015 “From powder to pill & pill to heal”, at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 11th-15th May 2015
- Invited speaker. Effect of nitrites and nitrates on bird nest colour. Edible Bird Nest Industry Conference (EBNIC) 2014. Marriot Hotel, Putrajaya, 25-26, organized by University Putra Malaysia (UPM), Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) and Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI), at the Marriot Hotel, Putrajaya, 25-26th November 2014
- Invited speaker. Functional analysis of constitutively active forms of WASP. 112th Japanese Pediatric Society. Nara, Japan, 17-19th April 2009
Awards & Honours
- Japanese government Monbukagakusho (MEXT) scholarship
- Member of Japan Pediatric Society
- Member of Institute of Food Technologists