|Dr Tang Yin-Quan
Ph.D in Cell Biology (University of Malaya)
B.Sc. (Hons) Biomedical Science (University of Tunku Abdul Rahman)
- Drug discovery and development
- Angiogenesis: Biology and Pathology
- Infectious diseases
- Evaluation and development of anticancer and antiviral agents from natural products.
- Study the molecular mechanisms of the angiogenic switch in tumors and other diseases.
- Therapeutic angiogenesis in health and diseases
- Application of genome-editing technologies for gene and cell therapy
Research Grants Awarded
- Rational Design of Live Attenuated EV71 Vaccine by Site Directed Mutations in comparison with deletion in the 5’ Non-coding region. MOHE FRGS (2014-2016)
- Anticancer properties of Phyllanthus spp: Mechanism of action and evaluation as potential antitumor agent. University of Malaya - UMRG (2011-2013).
- Evaluation, Assessment and Commercialization of Phyllanthus watsonii as an Antiviral Therapeutic to Dengue Virus. MOSTI - Brain Gain Malaysia (BGM) (2010-2012)
- The anticancer properties of Phyllanthus sp. in human cancer cell lines. University of Malaya – PPP (2010-2011)
Peer Reviewed Papers (10 most significant)
- S.D. Sekaran, Y.Q. Tang, S.H. Lee. (2017). The role of medicinal plant, Phyllanthus as an antiviral and anticancer agent. Journal of Health and Translational Medicine (JUMMEC). 17(2).
- M.S. Yap, Y.Q. Tang, Y. Yeo, et al. (2016). Pluripotent Human embryonic stem cell derived neural lineages for in vitro modelling of enterovirus 71 infection and therapy. Virology journal. 13 (5).
- Y.Q. Tang, I.B. Jaganath, R. Manikam, et al (2015). Phyllanthus spp. Exerts Anti-Angiogenic and Anti- Metastatic Effects through Inhibition on Matrix Metalloproteinase Enzymes. Nutrition and Cancer. 67(5): 783-795.
- Y.Q. Tang, I.B. Jaganath, R. Manikam, et al (2014). Inhibition of MAPKs, Myc/Max, NFκB, and Hypoxia pathways by Phyllanthus prevents proliferation, metastasis and angiogenesis in human melanoma (MeWo) cancer cell line. International Journal of Medical Sciences. 11(6):564-577. doi:10.7150/ijms.7704.
- Y.Q. Tang, I.B. Jaganath, R. Manikam, et al (2013). Phyllanthus suppresses Prostate Cancer Cell, PC-3 Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis through Multiple Signalling Pathways (MAPKs, PI3K/Akt, NFκB and Hypoxia). Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 13: doi:10.1155/2013/609581.
- S.H. Lee, Y.Q. Tang, A. Rathakrishnan, et al (2013). Effect of a Local Malaysian Medicinal Plant (Phyllanthus) against Dengue Virus 2. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 13: doi:10.1186/1472-6882-13-192.
- Y.Q. Tang, I.B. Jaganath and S.D. Sekaran (2010). Phyllanthus spp. Induces Selective Growth Inhibition of PC-3 and MeWo Human Cancer Cells through Modulation of Cell Cycle and Induction of Apoptosis. PLoS ONE 5(9): e12644. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0012644.
Book Chapters(10 most significant):
- Y.Q. Tang and S.D. Sekaran. (2011). “Evaluation of Phyllanthus, for Its Anti-Cancer Properties”. In “Prostate Cancer-From Bench to Bedside”, edited by Philippe E. Spiess, ISBN 978-953-307-331-6, InTech.
Conference Abstracts/Proceedings (10 most significant):
- A. Cappelletto, Y.Q. Tang, M. Rehman, S. Zacchigna (2017). Understanding the poor angiogenic capacity of mammalian heart. HFA Winter Meeting on Translational Heart Failure Research, Les Diablerets, Switzerland. (25th – 28th Jan 2017)
- Y.Q. Tang, A. Cappelletto, S. Zacchigna (2016). The angiogenic potential of mammalian heart is halted soon after birth. ESGCT and ISSCR Congress, Florence, Italy. (18th – 22nd Oct 2016).
- M. Rehman, Y.Q. Tang, A. Cappelletto, S. Zacchigna (2016). The poor angiogenic potential of mammalian adult heart. Perspectives in Vascular Biology, Frankfurt, Germany. (26th – 28th Sept 2016).
- Rathakrishnan, Y.Q. Tang, A. Durbin, J.S. Dumler, D.J. Grab (2016). Early differential changes in microvascular barrier function in response to Dengue virus. 45th Parasitological Society of Southern Africa (PARSA) Conference, Cape Town, South Africa. (28th – 30th August 2016).
- Y.Q. Tang (2016). Understanding the poor angiogenic capacity of the heart. ICGEB Symposium. Trieste, Italy (14th -15th June 2016).
- Y.Q. Tang, I.B. Jagananth, S.D. Sekeran. (2015). Phyllanthus suppresses prostate (PC-3) and melanoma (MeWO) cancers’ proliferation and induces apoptosis through multiple signalling pathways. 25th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Copenhagen, Denmark. (25th -28th April 2015).
- A. Rathakrishnan, Y.Q. Tang, A.M.Khan, A. Durbin, D.J. Grab and S.D. (2013). Microvascular Endothelial Cells Responses towards Dengue Virus Infection, 2nd Conference on Impedance-Based Cellular Assays, Hungary (21st -23rd August 2013).
- Tang YQ, Lee SH, Komarasamy TV, et al. (2012). Effects of Potential of Malaysian Medicinal Plant (Phyllanthus) Against Dengue Virus Type 2 (DENV2), 9th Asia-Pacific Congress Medical Virology (APCMV), Adelaide, Australia (June, 2012)
- Tang YQ, Jaganath IB, Sekaran SD. (2011). The anti-metastatic and anti-angiogenesis properties of Phyllanthus species. 18th International Student Congress of (Bio)Medical Sciences (ISCOMS), The Netherlands.
- Tang YQ, Jaganath IB and Sekaran SD. Anticarcinogenic properties of extracts derived from medicinal plant, Phyllanthus on human skin and prostate cancer cells. UK-Malaysia Symposia of Cancer Drug Discovery and Development, Malaysia (24-25 February 2010)
Scholarly Activities/ Industry Experience (10 most significant):
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Trieste, Italy (2015 –2017)
- Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellow in Sunway University, Malaysia (2014 –2015)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in University of Malaya, Malaysia (2013-2014)
- Part time instructor of an introductory “Basic Cell Culture” course, NEXBIO Sdn Bhd, Malaysia (2014)
- Research Trainee in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, U.S. (2012-2013)
- Organizing committee of the “Basic and Clinical Immunology Course 2013” in Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Malaysia (2013)
- Diagnostic Lab Intern in Sunway Medical Center, Malaysia (2007)
Awards & Honours
- The Arturo Falaschi Postdoctoral Fellowship award from the ICGEB, Trieste, Italy (2015-2017)
- The National Science Fellowship (NSF) award from the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Malaysia (2009-2013)
- Sponsorship award to “Introductory Bioinformatics Workshop” by Perdana University Graduate School of Medicine, Malaysia (2012)
- 18th International Student Congress of (bio)Medical Sciences (ISCOMS), The Netherlands – Best Poster Presentation (Cell Biology & Medical Biochemistry) award (2011)
- “President’s List Honour” Award, Faculty of Engineering and Science, University of Tunku Abdul Rahman (2008)
- Reviewer, InTechOpen (2017 - present)
- Member, European Society of Cardiology Member (2016-2017)
- Member, European Society for Gene and Cell Therapy Member (2016-2017)
- Ex-Editorial Board Member, Journal of Bioanalysis and Biomedicine (2015)