|Dr David Asirvatham
Bachelor of Science (Hons) Education (Maths / Physics),
Post Gradudate Diploma in Computer Science,
Masters of Science (Digital Systems),
Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology
- Computer Networking
- Internet & E-Commerce Technology
- E-learning Technology
- Computer Architecture
- Digital Systems
- Data Communication
- Neural Networks
- Software Project Management
- Systems Analysis & Design
- Software Engineering
- Database Systems
- Multimedia Technology
- Instructional Technology
- Digital Content Development
- Management Information System
- E-learning and Web Technologies
- Digital Content Development for Education
- Instructional Design
- Digital Neural Networks
- Local Area Network
- ICT Project Management & Implementation
Research Grants Awarded
- Data Analysis and Visualization of Large Data Sets (RM 50,000 in 2014, RM 45,000 in 2015, RM 65,000 in 2016) with IUMW
- An eLearning Instructional Model in Higher Education using Web 2.0 Technologies (RM7,000) with UM
- Newton Grant (Environment and Big Data) - RM150K
Publications / Patents:
- A Design Strategy for Digital Neural Networks with Multiple Input Connectivity, IEEE International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Computer Vision, Sept. 1992, Singapore.
- Multimedia Education: Why, How, What For?, (Invited speaker) International Conference on e-learning 2000, Kuala Lumpur (PWTC), 25-28 May 2000.
- The Communication and Multimedia Sector: Cutting-edge Technology. David Asirvatham, Prof. Lee Poh Ann, Dr. Abu Hassan, Multimedia Journal 2000, (Malaysia).
- Multimedia Education and challenges for the Library: Multimedia University Experience, David Asirvatham and Aminah Abdullah Sani, First Symposium on Online Learning (SOLE2000), 23-24 October 2000, Malaysia (Sarawak).
- Web-based Learning: Multimedia Learning System, Charles Andoh and David Asirvatham, International Conference on e-Education: Implementation and Management, 29-30 Oct. 2001, Kuala Lumpur.
- Opening up a World of Opportunities with e-Education: The Multimedia Learning System (MMLS) of Multimedia University, David Abdullai and David Asirvatham, International Conference on e-Education: Implementation and Management, 29-30 oct. 2001, Kuala Lumpur.
- Intelligent agent for e-Education, Charles Andoh and David Asirvatham, Malaysian Science and Technology Congress, MSTC, 9-10 Nov. 2001, Penang, Malaysia.
- Getting Education Off the Internet, David Asirvatham, (Cover Story) Asia Pacific Information and Communication Technology, February 2002, AsiaPacificIT.Com, Malaysia.
- E-learning in Malaysia: Moving towards a k-economy, David Asirvatham, Asia e-learning Initiatives, 5 June 2002, Bangkok.
- Multimedia Learning System: Malaysian Grown e-Learning Engine, Mageswary Jaiballan and David Asirvatham, 15th Educational Technology Convention, 6 -9 Sept. 2002, Perlis, Malaysia.
- Understanding a Total Security Architecture for a Successful Implementation of e-Commerce, Yahya Dauda, Balachandran and David Asirvatham, International Conference 2002: Internet Economy and Business (IEB), 17-18 Sept. 2002, Kuala Lumpur.
- Multimedia Intelligent System for Online Learning, International Conference on Computer Education (ICEE), Charles Andoh and David Asirvatham, 3-6 Dec. 2002, Auckland.
- Multimedia Learning System: An Intelligent Learning Management System, David Asirvatham and Priya Balakrishnan, International Conference on Technology Enhanced learning and Teaching, 19-20 Dec. 2002, Madras, India.
- Development of Multimedia Learning System, David Asirvatham, International Seminar on E-learning, 21-22 January, 2003, Cyberjaya, Malaysia.
- Introduction to SCORM and Multimedia Learning System, David Asirvatham and Hassan, Instructor for Tutorial Session, International Seminar on E-Learning, 21-22 January, 2003, Cyberjaya, Malaysia.
- Borderless Education through E-learning, David Asirvatham, MAPCU National Education Conference 2003, 26-27 May 2003, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
- Learning on the Move: E-Learning to M-Learning, Krishnakumari and David Asirvatham, MELTA 7th International Conference 2003, 18-20 May 2003, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
- E-Learning Initiatives in Malaysia, David Asirvatham, Peter Woods, Abtar Kaur and Kenzo Takahashi, (sponsored by ALIC, Japan) Second Asia E-learning Network Conference, 10-11 Dec. 2003, Tokyo, Japan
- Reshaping Education through E-learning, David Asirvatham, International Seminar on the Role of Information Technology (Multimedia) in Community Development, Lembaga Penelitian Dan Pengabdian Masyarakat, LPPM-STMIK "AMIKBANDUNG", 1 Spet. 2004, Bandung, Indonesia.
- E-learning initiatives in Malaysia, David Asirvatham, (sponsored by UNESCO), International Learning Forum (ILF), Learntec 2004 10-13 Feb. 2004, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- E-learning Standards and Implementation Issues, David Asirvatham, e-Agenda 2004 - Asia Pacific Forum, 25-26 March, 2004, Singapore.
- E-learning and Digital Library, David Asirvatham, PPM-LAS Commemorative Conference 2005, Library Association of Malaysia and Library Association of Singapore, 6-8 April 2005, Kuala Lumpur.
- The Development of Technology and Technical Vocational Education & Training in an Era of Globalisation, David Asirvatham, National Seminar, UNESCO and Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 23-24 August 2005, Kuala Lumpur.
- Effective E-learning Content Management and Delivery: Multimedia University’s Experiences, David Asirvatham, 4th International Conference on e-learning and 4th International Conference on Information, 1-3 Sept.,2005, Kuala Lumpur.
- Krishnakumari, Woods, P., Asirvatham, D., and Chinna, K. (2006). Teaching English and E-Learning: Voices from ESL Lecturers in Malaysian Universities, International Conference of Distance, Collaborative and e-learning (DCEL2006), 4-5 January, 2006, Kuala Lumpur.
- Asirvatham, D. (2006). The concept of e-Learning and its Potential in bridging the Education Gap between People with Disabilities and the General Population, Second BAKTI-MIND Conference, 16-21 Dec. 2006, Kuala Lumpur.
- Asirvatham, D. (2007). Information and Communication Technology in Education: Multimedia University’s Experience, ICT Conference, 12 Jan 2007, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Dauda, Y., Santhapparaj, A.S. and Asirvatham, D. (2007). The impact of E-Commercie Security and National Environment on Consumer adoption of Internet Banking in Malaysia and Singapore, Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, Vol 12 (2).
- Asirvatham, D. (2007). Multimedia University: Quality global education through a conducive e-learning environment. E-education: Engaging students in the 21st century, Kuala Lumpur.
- Sultan, W., Woods, P., David, A., (2008). Instructional Design platform: as a successful key factor for Contents Repurposing. UiCEL conference of Quality Assurance in E-Learning Contents, University Technology Mara, 12th-14th, December 2007, Shah Alam, Malaysia.
- Asirvatham, D., (2008). E-learning 3.0: A conducive and adaptive e-learning environment. E-Learning Asia 2008, South Korea.
- Syed Jamal Abdul Nasir bin Syed Mohamad, David Asirvatham and Halimatol Hanim Mohd Khalid, Quality Framework for Assessment of Multimedia Learning Materials Version 1.0, The 3rd International Conference on e-Learning ICEL2011, 23-24 Nov. 2011, Bandung, Indonesia.
- Asirvatham, D., (2012). University of Malaya Experience in Google Apps for Education, Google Apps for Education Indonesia Conference, 9 August 2012, Indonesia.
- Asirvatham, D., (2013). Moving towards a world class university. Keynote speaker. First International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, Marthandam College of Engineering and Technology, 21-22 Feb., 2013, Kanyakumari, India.
- Asirvatham, D., (2013). The Andriod World. Keynote speaker. National Level Worlshop on Andriod Platform (NWAP – 2013), S.T. Hindu College, 22-23 Feb., 2013, Nagercoil, India.
- Ngoc Dung Dui, David Asirvatham, Md Gapar Md Johar. Functional Discrimination of fMRI Data from Multiple Subjects, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, Vol 4 Issue 8, August 2014.
- Ngoc Dung Dui, David Asirvatham, Md Gapar Md Johar & Siew Ann Cheong. Model-Free Analysis of Single fMRI Time Series Based on Spatial Synchronization, International Journal of Electronics Communication and Computer Engineering, Vol 5, Issue 4, July 2014.
- David Asirvatham, Transforming Classroom Education through MOOC, 7th Annual Education Summit, Singapore, 19-21 Oct. 2015.
- David Asirvatham, Balancing online & F2F intention to create a rich learning experience, Bett Asia Leadership Summit, Singapore, 17-18 Nov. 2015.
- David Asirvatham, Technology-based tools in pursuit of global workforce development, OIC Higher Education Conference 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 28-29 Oct. 2015.
- David Asirvatham, Big Data initiatives at UM, The Digital Education Show Asia 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 15-16 June, 2015.
- Mohamed Kalith, David Asirvatham & Samantha Thelijjagoda, Isolated to Connected Tamil Digital Speech Recognition System Based on Hidden Markov Model, International Journal of New Technologies in Science and Engineering Vol. 3, Issue 4, April 2016, ISSN 2349-0780.
- IT Project Involvement (Local):
- University Campus ICT Infrastructure Development & Implementation
- Multimedia Learning System (Project Director & Inventor)
- Multimedia Content Development
- Smart-card Applications
- Document Management Systems
- Interactive Voice Response System
- e-Procurement system
- ICT Project Involvement (International):
- ICT Specialist for ICT Training for Govt. of Bangladesh (World Bank Project)
- Student Information System, Development & Implementation (Iran & Sudan)
- E-learning System, Development & Implementation (Sudan, India & South Africa)
- Consultant, MBA Programme, (Ghana, Indonesia and Iran)
- Multimedia Content Development & E-learning Training (India, UAE, South Africa, Sudan, Vietnam)
- ICT Resource Person, Multimedia Content Development Training for SAARC countries, Bangladesh Open University (Bangladesh)
- Curriculum Development for Open Distance Learning (ODL) Workshop (Maldives)
- External Examiner (Msc and PhD)
- 1998 - 2008: Preparation of Business Plan and ICT Master Plan for Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 1998 - 1999: Design and setup laboratories and other teaching facilities for the Faculty of Information Technology, MMU
- Designed and setup the Microprocessor/Digital Laboratory, UiTM
- Designed various syllabi for the Faculty of IT, Multimedia University, Malaysia and at Faculty of IT, UiTM
- Commercialisation of software products
- Consultation work for software development & web portals
- 2009 - 2016: Director, Centre for Information Technology, Pantai Valley, University of Malaya
- 2008 - 2009: Senior Director, IT Services Division, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 1999 - 2008: Director, Centre for Multimedia Education and Application Development, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 1999 - 2000, 2002 - 2006 : Director, Centre for Information Technology & Services, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 2006 - 2007: Director, Integrated Campus Education Management System (ICEMS), Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 1999-2001:Project Manager, IT and Multimedia Infrastructure Development, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- Consultant for the e-University Project ( Prepare Blueprint for the integration of all Malaysia Public Universities)
- 2002 & 2004: Consultation work for Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (Executive MBA Programme)
- ICT specialist, ICT Skills Training for the Government of Bangladesh
- 1997 - 1998: Associate Dean, IT Faculty, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 1999 - 2009: Lecturer, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- 1985 - 1995: Lecturer (Computer Science), University Technology MARA, Malaysia
Awards & Honours
- Best lecturer awarded by University Technology MARA, 1995.
- Asia Pacific Multimedia Super Corridor Information Technology & Telecommunications Awards 2000, (APMITTA) Winner for Best Smart Learning Application, Awarded for the Multimedia Learning System (MMLS).
- Asia Pacific Information Communication Technology Award for Best Learning Application, 2001. Awarded for the Multimedia Learning System (MMLS).
- Asia Pacific Multimedia Super Corridor Information Technology & Telecommunications Awards 2003, (APMITTA) Merit Award, Awarded for the Multimedia Learning System (MMLS).
- Smart Community International Network (SCIN) for SCIN Best Practice Award, 2004, (Holland). Awarded for the Multimedia Learning System (MMLS).
- 14 Influential Higher Education Tech Leaders in Southeast Asia (Digital Education Show Asia)
- Education Leadership Award (To be awarded on 5 August, 2016), 7th Asia’s Education Excellence Awards.
- Chairman, Educational Innovation Committee, Multimedia University, Malaysia, 2003 - 2004
- Chairman, ICT Human Capital Development for 11th Malaysia Plan 2016-2020 (RMK-11), Economic Planning Unit, PM's Office, 2014-2015.
- Secretary, Artificial Intelligence Society, Malaysia, 1994 - 1995
- Country Representative (Malaysia) for Asia E-Learning Network (AEN), ALIC, Japan, 2003 - 2005
- Committee Member, National R&D Road map for e-Learning Technology
- Committee Member, National e-Learning Standards, SIRIM, 2006 - 2008
- Committee Member, Advanced Learning Technologies, Open Educational Content, and Standards (ALS) [C3 Group]
- Consultant for the preparation of the Blueprint for e-University Project for Ministry of Education, Malaysia
- Task Force Member, IT Implementation, Malaysian Administrative Modernisation and Management Planning Unit (MAMPU), 2002 - 2004
- Committee Member, Implementation of e-learning for Public Sector, the National Institute of Public Administration (INTAN), Malaysia. 2007 - 2008
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Distance Education Technologies, Idea Group Publishing, USA, 2003 - 2008
- Core Group, Quality Assurance in Multimedia Learning Materials, Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA), India, (Commonwealth of Learning Project). 2009 - 2010
- Committee Member, Implementation of e-learning for all colleges and university in Malaysia, Ministry of Education, Govt. of Malaysia. 2009 - 2010
- Committee Member, Open Education Consortium: The Global Network for Open Education, 2014 - 2016
- Research Grants Committee Member, International University of Malaya - 2016
- Procurement Committee Member, Multimedia University, Malaysia, 1999 - 2008
- Finance Committee, Multimedia University, Malaysia, 1999 - 2008
- Publication Committee member, Multimedia University, Malaysia, 2000 - 2001
- Tender Evaluation/Approval Committee, Multimedia University, Malaysia, 1999 - 2008
- Member of the Malaysian Grid for Learning's (MyGfL) Standards Expert Group (SEG), 2003 - 2004
- Committee Member for the Implementation of E-Learning for Malaysian Public Sector
- SAP Advisory Council for Higher Education and Research, 2014 - 2016