|Dr Chong Li Choo
Programme Director, Bachelor of Science (Hons.) Culinology
Ph.D in Food Processing & Preservation, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
Master of Business Administration (MBA) (Bharathiar University, India)
Master of Science in Food Science & Technology, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Food product innovation & development
- Product formulation and ingredient technology
- Food and agricultural science & processing
- Sensory evaluation
- Value-added / clean label/ Functional Food Product Development
- Nutritional Evaluation of Food and Functional Foods
- Sustainable Food Processing via Byproduct Utilization
- Bakery Products Technology
- Consumers' behaviour and attitudes toward healthy eating and functional foods
Research Grants Awarded
- “Egg & Egg Product Innovation” Industry Research Grants, by Liang Kee Farming Sdn Bhd, 2017 – 2018.
- Taylors Research Grants Scheme (TGRS) by Taylor’s University, 2015 – 2016.
- USM Fellowship, by Unversiti Sains Malaysia, 2007 – 2010
- National Science Fellowship (NSF), by Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (MOSTI), Malaysia, 2004 – 2006
- Graduate Research Fund by Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2004
Index Citation Papers
- L. C. Chong & A. A. Noor Aziah (2010). Effect of banana flour and β-glucan on the nutritional and sensory evaluation of noodles. Food Chemistry, 119, 34 – 40.
- W. H. Haslinda, L. H. Cheng, L. C. Chong, & A. A. Noor Aziah (2009). Chemical composition and physicochemical properties of green banana (Musa acuminate balbisiana Colla cv. Awak) flour. International Journal of Food Science & Nutrition (2009), 60(11), 232 – 239
- L. C. Chong, L. H. Cheng & A. A. Noor Aziah (2009) Properties of polyphenol oxidase obtained from Musa acuminata x balbisiana Colla cv.‘Pisang Awak’ pulp and peel. CyTA - Journal of Food, 9 (1), 25 -30.
- L. C. Chong & A. A. Noor Aziah (2008). Influence of Partial Substitution of Wheat Flour with Banana (Musa paradisiaca var. Awak) Flour on the Physico – Chemical and Sensory Characteristics of Doughnuts. International Food Research Journal 15(2): 119-124
- Going Banana : A Lesson in Sustainability (2007), Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia ISBN 978-983-3986-12-5
- L.C. Chong (2017). Strategy for Developing Satiety-enhancing Food Model as Weight Management Regime in Asian population. Paper presented at 3rd Asia Roundtable on Food Innovation for Improved Nutrition (ARoFIIN), Singapore, 27th April 2017.
- L.C. Chong (2017). Strategies for Aerated Food Product Developemnt in Glbal Clean Label Phenomena. Paper presented at Workshop on Innovations in Aerated Food Processing for Sustainability, Health and Life, Campden-BRI, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom, 23-26th January, 2017.
- L. C. Chong (2014). From Idea to Protocept in Record Time. Culinology® 4.0: The Next Wave in Asia. Paper presented at Research Chefs Association Annual Conference & Culinology® Expo 2014, Portland, Oregon, USA. 11 – 14th March, 2014.
- L. C Chong and Noor Aziah, AA. 2005. The effect of incorporation of banana flour on the quality of noodles. Paper Presented at 9th Asian Food Congress 2005, Jakarta
- L. C. Chong and Noor Aziah, AA. 2005. Evaluation of the physico-chemical and nutritional attributes of doughnut incorporated with banana flour. Paper presented at the Malaysian Science and Technology Congress 2005,Cititel, Kuala Lumpur
- Noor Aziah, AA. and L. C. Chong. 2004. Physico-chemical and acceptability attributes of banana flour incorporated in noodles. Paper presented at the 1st International Banana Congress, 6-9th July, 2004, Shangrila’s Resort, Penang
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Internal auditor, Taylor’s University
- Postgraduate research supervision ( 3 Master students) & Undergraduate Final Year Projects supervision (61 students; 21 dissertations)
- External Examiner for Postgraduate Dissertation (2 Master & 1 PhD students)
- Panelist for Industry Forum on “Culinology®: A Taste for Tomorrow. The Future of Food Business in Asia: Respecting Traditions-Creating Value”, Subang Jaya, Malaysia, 3rd June 2016.
- Scientific Committee for 6th Asia Euro Conference 2016, Hospitality and Gastronomy at Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management (IITTM), Gwalior, India on the 9th November – 12th November 2016.
- Invited speaker for The 11th MICSS Science Camp 2015, Klang, Malaysia, 30th May – 3th June 2015, Malaysia.
- Reviewer for Asia-Pacific Journal of Innovation in Hospitality and Tourism (APJIHT), 2014.
- Asia-Pacific CHRIE (Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education) ApacCHRIE Conference Secretariat, 2014, Taylor’s University.
- Speaker for Research Chefs Association Annual Conference & Culinology® Expo 2014, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Invited judge for Malaysia Institute of Food Technology (MIFT) Product Innovative Awards 2013.
- Liang Kee Farming Sdn Bhd.: Chief Consultant (2017)
- Egg Product Innovation & Research
- Medifoods (M) Sdn Bhd.: Chief Consultant (2016)
- Malaysian Technology Development Corporation (MTDC) Commercialisation of R&D Fund (CRDF) application
- Centralize kitchen set-up
- Soon Soon Group (Seberang Flour Mill Sdn Bhd.): Project Leader (2016)
- Develop healthier Malaysian diet / products integrating food science and technology, functional food and nutrition
- Auric Pacific Group Limited ( Auric Chun Yip Sdn Bhd) : Project Leader (2015)
- Butter-Blend Project: Develop ready-to –use flavored butter blend for various bakery products
- The Delicious Group (M) Sdn Bhd. : Project Leader ( 2014)
- Develop series of pasta menu for Simply D outlet, a modern fast dining casual concept.
- Futura Ingredients Pte Ltd, Ueno Fine Chemical Industry (Thailand) Ltd & Soon Soon FlourMill Sdn Bhd: Project Leader (2013)
- Transformation of Traditional Pineapple Tart to healthier version (high protein, Low fat & low sugar)
Awards & Honours
- Team advisor & coach, Champion of Research Chefs Association Culinology® Competition 2016, Denver, Colorado, USA
- Team advisor & coach, 1st runner –up of Research Chefs Association Culinology® Competition 2015, New Orleans, LA, USA
- Team advisor & coach, 1st runner –up of Research Chefs Association Culinology® Competition 2014, Portland, Oregon, USA
- Sanggar Sanjung Award – Journal publication, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2010.
- FIRI DIPLOMA Award for the Best invention - Invention of Green Nana Noodles in Korea International Women’s Invention Exposition (KIWIE), 6 – 9th May, 2010, Korea
- Silver Prize –Invention of Green Nana Noodles in Korea International Women’s Invention Exposition (KIWIE), 6 – 9th May, 2010, Korea.
- Silver Medal Award- Fruity Flour in Seoul International Invention Fair, 10-15th Dec, 2008, Korea.
- Bronze medal Award – High Fibre Green Banana Noodle, Bio Malaysia Exhibition, 7-11 October, 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Bronze Medal- Utilization of banana flour in fibre noodles 15th International Invention Innovation Industrial Design & Technology Exhibition (ITEX), 20-22 May, 2004 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- The Malaysia Book of Records 2004. ‘The Longest Sago Banner in Malaysia’ – awarded by The Malaysia Book of Records
- Education Committee for Research Chefs Association (RCA), United States (2017 – current)
- Member, Research Chefs Association (RCA), United States (2013 – current)
- Professional Member, Malaysian Institute of Food Technology (MIFT), Malaysia (2017 – current)