|Dr Rokhshad Tavakoli
Senior Lecturer II
Ph.D in Tourism and Hospitality Management (Taylor’s University - Malaysia)
Master in International Tourism and Hospitality Management (Taylor’s University - Malaysia)
B.Sc. (Hons) Computer Software Engineering (Shiraz Azad University- Iran)
- Qualitative Research
- Social Network Analysis
- Big Data Analysis
- My research interests include hosts’ and guests’ behaviour in urban and rural areas
- Gender in tourism
- 2D & 3D social networks, virtual tourism
- Ethnographic approaches to research
Research Grants Awarded
- I was part of a research team in the Long Term Research Grant Scheme (LRGS) for Multi-dimensional responsible rural tourism capacity (RRTC) framework for sustainable tourism, under the socio-cultural group (2012-2015)
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Mura, P., & Tavakoli, R. (2014). Social capital and tourism in Malaysia. Current Issues in Tourism. 17(1). 28-45, doi:10.1080/13683500.2012.718320
- Tavakoli, R., & Kahl, C. (2014). Continuous dynamics student evaluation system in an Asian learning context. Malaysian Online Journal of Educational Management. 2(2), 38-49.
- Tavakoli, R., & Mura, P. (2015). ‘Journeys in Second Life’ – Iranian Muslim women’s behavior in virtual tourist destinations. Tourism Management. 46. 398–407, doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2014.07.015
- Mura, P., Tavakoli, R. & Pahlavan Sharif, S. (2016). ‘Authentic but not too much’: exploring perceptions of authenticity of virtual tourism. Information Technology & Tourism, doi:10.1007/s40558-016-0059-y
- Tavakoli, R., Mura, P., & Rajaratnam, S. D. (2017). Social capital in Malaysian homestays: exploring hosts’ social relations. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-16.
- Tavakoli, R. and Mura, P. (2016). Iranian women traveling: Exploring an unknown universe, in Wilson, E. and Khoo-Lattimore, C. Women and Travel, Apple Academic Press.
- Yang, C. L., Tavakoli, R. (2017). Researching Asians and ‘Asianess’: Methodological frameworks and considerations in Khoo-Lattimore, C. and Mura, P. Gender and Tourism in Asia.
- Tavakoli, R. (2016). Chapter 8 My Journeys in Second life: An Autonetnography in Khoo-Lattimore, C. and Mura, P. Gender and Tourism in Asia.
- Tavakoli, R. and Mura, P. (2014). ‘‘Journeys in Second Life’ – Iranian Muslim women in virtual tourist destinations’. Paper presented at the 12th APacCHRIE ‘Breaking Barriers Shifting Gears’ 21-24 May, Taylor’s University, Malaysia.
- Tavakoli, R. and Mura, P. (2013). ‘The role of capitals in sustainable rural tourism development’. Paper presented at the 12th Asia Pacific Forum for Graduate Students’ Research in Tourism (APF) ‘Challenging Conventions in Research 2013’, 26-29 June, Taylor’s University, Malaysia
- Tavakoli, R. and Mura, P. (2012). ‘Exploring the factors that motivate people to participate in base jumping: A preliminary review of the literature’. Paper presented at the 4th Asia Euro Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy Conference 2012 ‘The Way Forward: Exploring Multidisciplinary Approaches’, 28 Nov.-1 Dec, Taylor’s University, Subang Jaya, Malaysia.
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Research Assistant in Taylors University: ‘Teaching Enhancement Plan’ (Mar 2011– Oct 2011)
- Research Assistant in Taylors University: ‘Responsible Rural Tourism’ (Apr 2012– Oct 2015)