|Emeritus Professor Dr Mohamed Ismail Mohamed Noor
Emeritus Professor in Nutrition
Head, CRI in Food, Nutrition and Public Health and
Co-Director LIA-CNRS: Food, Cultures and Health
PhD in Nutrition, University of London, UK (1983)
MSc in Food Science, University of Reading, UK (1975)
DVM (Veterinary Medicine), University of Lyallpur, Pakistan (1973)
- Energy (calorie) requirements
- Nutritional status
- Nutrition Policy
- Food Composition
- Energy metabolism
- Cultural and economic drivers of Protein transition
- Body composition
- Nutritional status (RNI) of various age groups including, elite athletes and armed forces
- Food environment policy index (EPI) in combating obesity
- Local food composition database
- Malay healing foods
Research Grants Awarded
- Recipient of some 25 research grants national and international (1986-2014) namely, ASEAN Food Habits Project - 1986-1988, IRPA-1994-1997, IAEA, Vienna, Austria, 1989-1992, Intensification Research in Priority Area (IRPA), 1991-1994, Nestle Foundation, Switzerland, 1992-1995, IRPA grant (1996-2000), National Sports Council (NSC), Malaysia (1990-1991), Ministry of Defense (MINDEF) Malaysia (1999-2000), Nestle Malaysia (2000-2002), 2 projects IRPA (1998-2003), IRPA (1999-2004). MPOB (2002-2004, IRPA 2004-2006, Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (2005- 2008), 2 projects IAEA, Vienna, Austria (2007-2010), MOSTI - Community Innovation Fund (CIF) 2007- 2010, Nestle (M) Berhad (2007-2009), ScFund, MOSTI, Project 2007-2011, Geran Universiti Penyelidikan (GUP) UKM-GUP-2007-2012, UKM OUP- 2007-2012, UKM-AP-TKP-11-2010, Geran Arus Perdana, UKM (2010-2014), ERGS -2012-2015, IAEA, Vienna, Austria (2010-2014).
- Preventing Overweight and Obesity, and Promoting Physical Activity among Children and Adolescents: IAEA Technical Cooperation Asian Region Project. RAS/6/080)2014-2018
- Towards a model of concerted and participative food heritage touristic valorization process: Kelabit indigenous community, Sarawak : FRGS/1/2015/SS06/TAYLOR/03/1, 2015-2017
- Flood disaster and its food-security impact assessments on the communities: FRGS/1/2015/SS06/UITM/02/6, 2015-2017
- Joint International Laboratory Project (LIA) CNRS on Food, Culture and health – Jean Jaures University of Toulouse, France and Taylor’s University, Malaysia: CNRS, France 2016-2019
- Mapping the implementation of priority food environment policies to tackle diet-related non-communicable diseases in Malaysia: A Situational Analysis. International Development Research Centre (IDRC) Canada Project NN-2016-027 UKM 2016-2018
- Improving healthy energy balance and obesity-related behaviours among preschoolers in Malaysia feasibility of adapting the ToyBox study. Newton-Engku Omar Funds – UKM -2016-2018.
- Cultural and economic drivers of protein transition in SE Asia: Focus on Malaysia and Indonesia. Taylors/REFCON Indonesia/University of Washington USA – Ajinomoto (Japan) 2017-2019.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Noor MI, Bernes RG, Bressani R, Elias LG (1984). The complementation effects of dietary protein or ungerminated and germinated mung bean with rice. Arch Latinoamer Nutr. XXXIV (2):365–375.
- Ismail MN, Miller DS (1985). A simple and inexpensive respirometer for energy expenditure studies in man. Asean Fd. J. 1(4):170–172.
- Ismail MN, Dulloo AG, Miller DS (1986) Genetic and dietary influences on the levels of diet-induced thermogenesis and energy balance in adult mice. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 30:189-195
- Ismail MN (1992) Malnutrition and food consumption patterns in Malaysia. Internat. J. Fd. Sc. Nutr. 43:69-78.
- Ismail MN (1993) Evaluation of energy requirement for Malaysia. Food Nutr. Bull. 14(4):350-356.
- Ismail MN, Zawiah H, Chee SS, Ng KK (1995) Prevalence of obesity and chronic energy deficiency (CED) in adult Malaysians. Mal.J.Nutr 1:1-9
- Ismail MN (2002). The nutrition and health transition in Malaysia. Public Health Nutr. 5(1):191-195.
- Ismail MN, Chee SS, Nawawi H, Yusoff K, Lim TO, James WPT (2002). Obesity in Malaysia. Obesity Reviews, 3:203-208
- WHO Expert Consultation – Barba C, Cavalli-Sforza, Ismail MN et al. (2004). Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004; 363:157-163.
- Jean-Pierre Poulain, Wendy Smith, Cyrille Laporte, Laurence Tibère, Mohd Noor Ismail, Elise Mognard, Marcella Aloysius, Ari Ragavan Neethiahnanthan and Amri Baharuddin Shamsul (2015). Studying the consequences of modernization on ethnic food patterns: Development of the Malaysian Food Barometer (MFB). Anthropology of Food. URL: http://aof.revues.org/7735
- Tilakavati K, Ismail MN, Sundram K (2004) Dietary fatty acids and their influence on blood lipids and lipoproteins. In: Healthful Lipids. American Oil Chemists Society, USA.
- Ismail MN, Poh BK (2005) Introduction. In: Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia. Ismail, Khor & Tee (Eds) pp1-9.
- Ismail MN, Poh BK, Winnie Chee SS (2005) Energy. In: Recommended nutrient intakes for Malaysian. Ismail, Khor & Tee (Eds) pp10-31.
- Ismail MN, Florentino RF, Poh BK (2005) Energy. In: Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): Harmonization in Southeast Asia. (1st.Edition) International Life Sciences Institute, Singapore pp 20-44.
- Winnie Chee and Mohd Ismail Noor (2010). Maintain body weight in a healthy range. In: Malaysian Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents (Eds: Ismail et al), National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya.
- Winnie Chee, Mohd Ismail Noor, Rusidah Selamat, Mahenderan Appukutty and Azlinda Hamid (2013). Attain healthy weight for optimum growth. In: Malaysian Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents (Eds: Ismail et al), National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya.
- Xiao Chuan Lau, Kar Hau Chong, Bee Koon Poh and Mohd Noor Ismail (2013). Physical Activity, Fitness and the Energy Cost of Activities: Implications for Obesity in Children and Adolescents in the Tropics. In: Advances in Food and Nutrition Research, Volume 70, Chapter Two; 49-101.
- Ismail MN, Poh BK, Tee ES and Khor GL (2017). Introduction to RNI 2017. Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia. A report of the Technical Working Group on Nutritional Guidelines, National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition (NCCFN), Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya, 1-13.
- Poh BK. Ismail MN, Hazizi AS and Tan SY (2017). Chapter 1 – Energy. Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia. A report of the Technical Working Group on Nutritional Guidelines, National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition (NCCFN), Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya, 15-45.
- Nutrient Composition of Malaysian Foods (1997). Tee ES, Ismail MN, Nasir MA, Khatijah I. (eds), Institute for Medical Research, Kuala Lumpur. pp299.
- Malaysian Dietary Guidelines. (1999). Ismail MN, et al (eds), National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition, Ministry of Health, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur. pp50.
- Food of ASEAN. (2000). Ismail MN. (Chief Editor) ASEAN COCI (Culture) Publication series 6, ASEAN Committee on Culture and Information, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. pp173.
- Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia (2005). Ismail MN, Tee ES & Khor GL (eds). National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition, Ministry of Health, Malaysia, Putrajaya. pp207.
- Human Energy Requirements. Report of a joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation, Rome 2004. Member of Expert Panel, FAO 2004, pp96
- Ismail MN. Norimah AK, Poh BK, Ruzita AT, Nik Mazlan M, Zakiah MS (2006) Nutritional status and dietary habits of primary school children in Peninsular Malaysia. UKM/Nestle, Kuala Lumpur, pp71.
- Malaysian Dietary Guidelines (2010). (Eds: Ismail MN et al), National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya.
- Malaysian Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents (2013) (Eds: Ismail MN et al), National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya.
- Prioritizing Food Policy Options to reduce Obesity in Malaysia (2013) Eds: Ismail MN et al) Academy of Sciences Malaysia Advisory Report 4/2013.
- Recommended Nutrient Intakes for Malaysia (2017). A report of the Technical Working Group on Nutritional Guidelines, National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition (NCCFN), Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya, pp523.
- Ismail MN, Medrano JF (1979) Tribolium castaneum as a bioassay organism in assessing protein quality of food. Proceeding Trends of Applied Biology in SEA, USM, Penang. pp. 23-38.
- Ismail MN, Miller DS (1986) Assessment of 24 hour energy expenditure and basal metabolic rate of obese subjects using a respirometer. Kon et al. (eds). In: Contemporary Themes in Biochemistry, Singapore, pp 232-233.
- Ismail MN (1989) Survey of nutritional status and dietary lifestyle in Malaysia. Kim et al. (eds). Proc. 14th International Congress of Nutrition, Seoul, Korea. pp. 643-646
- Ismail MN (1990) Evaluation of energy requirements for Malaysia. Singh et al. (eds). Proc. 2nd International Congress of Nutrition. Health and Rural Poverty, Moradabad, India. Pp 18-25.
- Shetty PS, Ismail MN (1991) Stable isotopes in human nutrition research in developing countries. Chong et al. (eds). Proc. 6th Asian Congress of Nutrition, Kuala Lumpur. Pp 114-116.
- Ismail MN (1996) Advance training and research in Nutrition: Malaysian case-study. Proceedings IUNS/UNU Workshop on Institution Building for Research and Advanced Training in Food and Nutrition in Developing Countries, Manila, Philippines. pp 8-10
- Ismail MN (1997) Obesity: Prevalence and metabolic studies in MalaysiaProceedings ANF/WHO Nutrition related chronic diseases in Asia, New Delhi, India
- Ismail MN, Zawawi Z, Norlizah AH (1999) Energy balance and fitness profile of National Rugby players during intensive training. Proceedings 8th Asian Congress of Nutrition, Seoul, Korea.
- Ismail MN (1999) Prevalence of obesity in Malaysia: Data from three ethnic population. Proceedings Asian BMI/obesity Workshop, Milan, Italy. pp 1-15.
- Ismail MN, Razali MS (2000) Determination of metabolic predisposition obesity in adults. Proceedings IRPA RM7, 29-35
- Ismail MN, Aminah A (1988) Nutrition education and research in the Universities in Malaysia: An overview. Proc. Workshop on Education in Health and Nutrition, ASAIHL, Brisbane, Australia. pp.10.
- Ismail MN (1989) Energy requirement studies in Malaysia. Report IAEA/CRP on application of stable isotope tracers in human nutrition research, Vienna, Austria. pp.8.
- . Ismail MN (1990) A critique of the assessment of dietary energy requirements for Malaysia in the context of the national food and nutrition policy. The Regional Expert Consultation of the Asian Network for Food and Nutrition on Food and Nutrition Planning. FAO/RAPA Report 1990/91, Bangkok, Thailand. Pp 66-81.
- Ismail MN (1990) Nutrition country profile – Malaysia. FAO Report, Rome, Italy. pp. 16
- Ismail MN, Zawiah H (1991) Anthropometric assessment of adult Malaysians. Report submitted to FAO for the 6th World Food Survey. FAO, Rome. pp. 6
- Ismail MN (1992) Application of stable isotope tracers in human nutrition research. Report of the 3rd Research Co-ordination Meeting, IAEA/CRP, Houston, Texas, U.S.A. pp.13
- Ismail MN, Isa M, Janudin A (1991) Energy requirements of Malaysian soldiers. Proc. Commonwealth Defence Organisation Conference, Auckland, New Zealand. pp. 162-168
- Ismail MN, Tee AC, Poh BK, Anuar Z, Haggarty P (1993) Studies with doubly-labeled water of adaptation in human energy needs in Malaysia. Final report to IAEA, Vienna, Austria. pp. 17
- Ismail MN (1994) Technical and operational justification for the use of body mass index as an indicator of adult nutritional status in a population with particular reference to Malaysia.Workshop report at the Regional Expert Consultation of the Asia-Pacific Network For Food and Nutrition, FAO, Bangkok, Thailand. pp.22
- Ismail MN, Poh BK (2009) Body fat and its relationship with metabolic syndrome indicators in overweight adolescents. Final report, IAEA, Vienna, Austria.
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Resource person, Regional Expert Consultation of the Asian Network for food and Nutrition, 24-27 July 1990, FAO, Bangkok, Thailand
- Member, ASEANFOODS: Creation of the first ASEANFOODS composition database, 10-16 March 1996, Bangkok, Thailand
- Chairman, Food of ASEAN, Workshop of writers/scholars/editors, 24-26 September 1996, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
- Member, WHO consultation on obesity, 2-5 June 1997, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
- Member, Working group on Nutrition Transition and its Health Implications for Developing countries, 20-24 August 2001, Rockefeller Foundation’s, Bellagio, Italy.
- Member, FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation on Energy in Human Nutrition, 17-24 October 2001, FAO, Rome, Italy
- . Member, Working group on Nutrition Research in Low-income countries, organized by Nestle Foundation, 10-13 April 2002, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Member, WHO Expert Consultation on Obesity, Singapore, 2002, WHO Expert consultation on appropriate BMI for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies, 7-11 July 2002 Singapore.
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, 1-7 May 2004, Tijuana, Mexico.
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, 1-7 May 2004, Tijuana, Mexico.
Awards & Honours
- United Nations University (UNU) Fellowship, Institute of Nutrition Central America and Panama (INCAP), Guatemala, Central America (1978-1979)
- Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Fellowship, Institute of Nutrition, Rome, Italy. (1988-1989)
- Royal Society (UK) Award, Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK (1993)
- Recognition Award, Veterinary Association of Malaysia, (VAM) 2000
- Fellow, Nutrition Society of Malaysia, (FNSM) 2000
- Fellow, Malaysian Oil Scientists’ and Technologists’ Association (FMOSTA) 2002
- Fellow, Malaysian Scientific Association, (FMSA) 2003
- Malaysian Science, Technology & Environment (MOSTE) Award 2004 (for public understanding of Science and Technology).
- Fellow, International Union of Nutritional Sciences, (FIUNS) 2005
- Fellow, Academy of Sciences Malaysia, (FASc) 2006
- Nutrition Society of Malaysia Recognition Award 2010
- Kesatria Malaysia (2012) – Ministry of Tourism Malaysia
- Emeritus Professor in Nutrition (UKM) – 2014
- Corresponding Fellow – French Academy of Medicine (2017)
- Secretary, Federation of Asian Nutrition Societies (FANS)-1991-1993
- President, Federation of Asian Nutrition Societies (FANS)-1993-1995
- Immediate Past-President, Federation of Asian Nutrition Societies (FANS) -1995-1999
- Executive Council, Federation of Asian Nutrition Societies (FANS) 2000-present
- Council member, International Union of Nutritional Sciences (IUNS) 1997-2001
- National Representative, International Association for the Study of Obesity (IASO) – 1998-present
- Secretary, Asia-Oceania Association for the study of Obesity (AOASO)-1998-2002
- Vice-President, Asia-Oceania Association for the study of Obesity (AOASO)-2002-2006
- National Representative, International Union of Nutritional Sciences (1988-present)
- Deputy Secretary, International Association for the study of Obesity, IASO (2009-2010).
- Secretary, International Association for the study of Obesity IASO (2010-2014).
- . President, International Congress on Obesity (ICO) 2014, to be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 17-21 March 2014.
- Vice-President World Obesity Federation representing Asia-Oceania region (2014-2018)
- President, Asia-Oceania Association for the study of Obesity (AOASO) – (2014-2018)
- Secretary, Veterinary Association Malaysia (VAM)-1984-1987
- Secretary, Malaysian Society of Health (MSH)-1986-1987.
- Vice-President, Malaysian Society of Health (MSH)-1992-1994.
- President, Malaysian Society of Health (MSH)-1995-1996.
- Vice-President, Nutrition Society of Malaysia (NSM)-1985-1993
- President, Nutrition Society of Malaysia (NSM)-1994-1996.
- President, Malaysian Association for the Study of Obesity (MASO)-1996-present.
- Vice-President, Nutrition Society of Malaysia (NSM)-1996-present
- Vice-President, Confederation of Science & Technology Malaysia (COSTAM)-2000-2006.
- Deputy President, Confederation of Science & Technology Malaysia (COSTAM) -2006-2007.
- President COSTAM, 2008-2009
- Secretary, Malaysian Senior Scientists Association (MSSA) 2005-2006.