|Dr Priya Madhavan
BSc. (Hons), MSc., PhD (Medical Microbiology)
Professional Certification in Biorisk Management and Biosecurity (IFBA, USA)
Malaysian Biosafety Professional Certificate (MBBA, Malaysia)
- Biology assays for natural products
- Biochemical assays
- Microbiology assays
- Molecular mechanisms and pathways
- Antimicrobial and Anticancer Activities from Natural products
- Molecular mechanisms
- Drug resistance in microorganisms
- Infectious and Neglected Infectious Diseases
- Metabolic diseases
- Digital Microbiology
- Ageing and Quality of Life
- Infectious Diseases
- Cancer Innovation and Metabolic Research
- Experimental Medicine Research
Research Grants Awarded
- Taylor’s Research Grant Scheme (TRGS). Molecular characterisation of EPA genes in C. glabrata and its pathogenesis in antifungal resistance. Project code: TRGS/MFS/2/2016/SOM/013. Fund Approved: RM 60,000.00. Period: 1 July 2017 – 31 December 2018 (18 months). Principal Investigator.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Science and Technology, Malaysia. Characterisation of the antifungal susceptibility patterns, molecular genetic profiles and biofilm architecture among clinical isolates of Candida rugosa. Project Code: FRGS/2/2014/SKK01/TAYLOR/02/1. Fund Approved: RM 127, 000. Period: Jan 2015 – June 2017 (30 months). Principal Investigator.
- Taylor’s Research Grant Scheme (TRGS). Investigation and characterization of Mesenchymal Stem Cell (MSC) conditioned media in an in vitro model of wound healing. Project code: TRGS/MFS/2/2016/SOM/006. Fund Approved: RM 43,400.00. Period: 15 Mac 2017 - 15 Aug 2018 (18 months). Co-Investigator.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Science and Technology, Malaysia. Anticancer Mechanism of action of C. nutans and cisplatin in triple negative breast cancer cells. Fund Approved: RM 108, 000. Period: November 2015 – October 2017 (24 months). Co-Investigator.
- Taylor’s Research Grant Scheme (TRGS). Elucidation of metabolic profiles of Acinetobacter baumannii infection in mammalian lung cells. Project code: TRGS/MFS/2/2014/SOM/005. Fund Approved: RM 48,000.00. Period: 17 Aug 2015 - 17 Feb 2017 (18 months). Co-Investigator.
- Madhavan P, Jamal F, Chong PP and Ng KP. In vitro activity of fluconazole and voriconazole against clinical isolates of Candida spp. by E-test method.Tropical Biomedicine. 2010, Vol.27(2); 200-207. ISSN: 01239-5720.
- Priya Madhavan, Farida Jamal and Pei Pei Chong. Laboratory isolation and identification of Candida species. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2011, DOI: 10.3923/jas. ISSN: 1812-5654.
- Madhavan P, Jamal F, Chong PP and Ng KP. Identification of local clinical Candida isolates using CHROMagar CandidaTM as a primary identification method for various Candida species. Tropical Biomedicine. 2011, Vol.28(2); 269–274.
- Ho Shing Yang, Tiew Wah Peng, Priya Madhavan, Mohamed Saleem Abdul Shukkoor, Gabriel Akyirem Akowuah. Phytochemical Analysis and Antibacterial activity of Methanolic extract of Clinacanthus nutans Leaf. International Journal of Drug Development & Research. July-September 2013, 5 (3): 349-355. ISSN 0975-9344.
- GA Akowuah VV Kiat, Wei Kit Siang, P Madhavan, JH Chin, M Ahmad. FT-IR Profile and Antiradical Activity of Dehulled Kernels of Apricot, Almond and Pumpkin. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2014, 5(2): 112 – 120. ISSN: 0975-8585.
- Siang W. Kit, Madhavan Priya, Chin J. Han, Ahmad Mariam, Gabriel A. Akowuah. Antimicrobial and antiradical activities of Corylus cornuta (Marsh.,Betulacea) kernel extracts. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine. Online November 2015, pp 1-7.
- Vuanghao Lim, Priya Madhavan, Chuan Seng Yap, Hui Wen Chong, Mohamed Saleem Abdul Shukkoor. GC-MS analysis and antimicrobial evaluation of the bioactive compounds in Strobilanthes crispus ethanolic leaf extract. European Journal of Medicinal Plant. 2015, Volume 10(4): 1-8.
- Priya Madhavan, Kamal Kenny. Dispensary Separation: Perceptions of Public Visiting Primary Care Clinics in Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Pharmaceutical of Science. Volume 14(1): 2016.
- Kamal Kenny, Zoharah Omar, El Sheila Kanavathi, Priya Madhavan. A Study on the Health Economics of General Practitioners in Malaysia: Trends, Challenges and Moving Forward. International Journal of Public Health Research. Volume 7(1): 2017.
- Siti Sarah bt Mohd. Ariff, Mohammad Hosseini Fouladi, Narendiran Krishnasamy, Satesh Narayana Namasivayam, Mohsen Nabi Poor, Priya Madhavan, Wong Eng Hwa. Diagnosis of Lung Related Diseases by Assessing Vibration Patterns of Structures at The Thoracic Cavity. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 2017.
- Priya Madhavan, Farida Jamal, Chong Pei Pei and Ng Kee Peng. (2009). Identification of Candida species Using CHROMagar Candida. Abstract of the 1st Joint Workshop of OGACH & OGMM MedMyc2009.Medical Mycology – From Basic Science to Clinical Needs. Vienna, Austria. 4-5 Dec 2009. p. 54.
- P Madhavan, GA Akowuah, WK Cheong. (2011). In vitro antimicrobial activity of hazelnut extracts on Streptococcus pneumoniae, Klebsiella pneumonia and Candida albicans using disk diffusion method. Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society Pharmacy Scientific Conference (MPS-PSC) 2011. 21-23 October 2011. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia.p.380 [Best Poster Award]
- P Madhavan, Yap CS, Mohamed Saleem AS, Lim V. (2011).In vitro antimicrobial activity of Strobilanthes crispus ethanolic leaf extracts using disk diffusion method. Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society Pharmacy Scientific Conference (MPS-PSC) 2011. 21-23 October 2011. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia. p.381
- HS Yang, P Madhavan, AM Saleem, GA Akowuah. (2012). Antibacterial activity of methanolic extract of Clinacanthusnutans (Sabah Snake Grass) leaf.Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society Pharmacy Scientific Conference (MPS-PSC) 2012. 21-23 November 2012. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia. p.118.
- P Madhavan, Farida J, PP Chong, O Fauziah. (2012). Biofilm forming Candida glabrata. 1st International Conference on Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases: “Current Trends, Challenges and Issues”.Hotel Impiana, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia. 4-7 December 2012.
- Priya M, Farida J, Pei Pei C. (2013). Morphological changes in Candida species treated with fluconazole and voriconazole. International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology 2013 (ICMSM2013). Langkawi, Kedah. Malaysia. 12-15 December 2013.
- Madhavan P., Farida J, Chong P.P. Genetic relatedness of Candida species using RAPD-PCR. 24th European Congress of Clinial Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Barcelona, Spain. 12-13 May 2014.
- Madhavan P., Farida J, Chong P.P., Fauziah O., Ng K.P. Fluconazole and voriconazole effects on biofilms produced by three non-albicans Candida species. 19th Congress of ISHAM 2015. Melbourne, Australia. 5 – 8 May 2015.
- T Peremalo, P Madhavan, S Hamzah, L Than, EH Wong, MD Mohd Nasir, KP Ng. Antifungal susceptibilities, biofilms, phospholipase and protease activities in Candida rugosa and Candida pararugosa isolated from tertiary teaching hospitals. The 8th International Congress of the Asia Pacific Society of Infection Control (APSIC 2017). Bangkok, Thailand. 13- 15 February 2017. AP-AR6.
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Volunteer of Rotary Club of Greentown, Ipoh, Malaysia for a Humanitarian Project Visit to Jaffna, Sri Lanka. 27th November – 4th December 2003. This project was to provide clean water, solar energy and basic amenities to the outlying villagers.
- Organising committee of the 4th National Medical Microbiology Seminar and Workshop 2009: Advanced Techniques on Multiple Drug Resistance (MDR) Epidemiology and Genetics. Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UPM, Serdang, Malaysia.
- Exhibition held for UCSI University Orientation Week under Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UCSI University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 2009 and 2010.
- Organising committee of the Simulation Technician / Specialist Development Program by Laerdal Malaysia. 12-13th September 2014. Clinical Skills Unit, Taylor’s University, Selangor.
- Co-chairperson of the “PinkMove Campaign” on Breast Cancer Awareness at Taylor’s Lakeside Campus, Taylor’s University, Malaysia. Jointly organised by Gleneagles Intan Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 29th October 2014.
- Initiated and Organised “Nepal Aid Donation Drive”, Taylor’s University, Malaysia. 12 – 30th May 2015. Funds are channelled via Meet Nepal to build temporary learning centers and toilet facilities for a primary school in Kavre, Nepal.
- Organising committee of the Healthcare simulation in Asia: Today, Future and Beyond Conference by Pan Asia Simulation Society in Healthcare. 23-25th October 2015. Taylor’s University, Selangor.
- Organising Committee of the Women in Science Forum. Jointly organized by Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World – Malaysian Chapter (OWSD-MC) and MSBMB. September 7th 2017. Taylor’s University, Selangor.
Awards & Honours
- Best Poster Award at the Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society Pharmacy Scientific Conference (MPS-PSC) 2011. 21-23 October 2011. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia.
- Travel Grant Award for the 1st Joint Workshop of OGACH & OGMM MedMyc2009. Medical Mycology – From Basic Science to Clinical Needs. Vienna, Austria. 4-5 Dec 2009.
- Malaysian Society of Microbiology
- Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine
- Malaysian Biosafety and Biosecurity Association
- Asia Pacific Biosafety Association
- The International Society for Human and Animal Mycology
- European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- American Society for Microbiology
- International Society of Infectious Diseases