|Dr. Rahmat Hashim
Ph.D in Food & Leisure (Sheffield Hallam University, UK)
MPS in Travel and Tourism Management (New School for Social Research, New York, NY, USA)
PgDip in Islamic Studies (IIUM, Malaysia)
B.Sc. (Hons) Hospitality Management (Alliant International University, San Diego, CA, USA)
Diploma Culinary Arts/Chef Training (Universiti Teknologi MARA- UiTM, Malaysia)
- Competence Management
- Brand and Product Innovation
- Hospitality & Tourism Education
- Consumer Behaviour
- Epistemic thinking and learning
- Customer satisfaction and branding
- Relevance in Hospitality and tourism education
- Competence and innovation behaviour
Research Grants Awarded
- Nor’aini Ahamd, Ahamd Nizan zali, Artinah zainal & Rahmat Hashim. Masakan Melayu- Khazanah and Warisan Bangsa, 1999, IRDC Grant- UiTM
- Rahmat Hashim, Salleh Mohd Radzi, Mohd Salehuddin Zahari & Saidatul Afzan A Corpus of Hospitality Managerial Knowledge 2011, FRGS
- Rahmat Hashim & Nor’aini Ahmad. National Dual-System Training-Culinary, MLVK
- Mohd Raziff Jamaludin, Mohd Hazif Mohd Hanafiah & Rahmat Hashim. Domestic and Foreign Tourists Attentance and Feedback During 'Fabulaous Food 1Malaysia 2012, Tourism Malaysia
- Fadzilah Shariff, Artinah Zainal & Rahmat Hashim (2010). Interaction of changed behavior and co-worker support on job performance, Research Intensive Fund.
- Noraini Ahmad, Rahmat Hashim and Chemah Thamby. Concept proposal for Jati Inn and Baiduri Restaurant, Politeknik Ibrahim Sultan, Johor Bharu. Jan 2012.
- Mohd Raziff Jamaludin, Mohd Hazif Mohd Hanafiah & Rahmat Hashim. The Impact of Launching Carnival to Visit Malaysia Year Campaign 2013, Tourism Malaysia
- Mohd Hafiz Mohd Hanafiah, Mohamad Abdullah Hemdi & Rahmat Hashim. Motivation of Malaysian Outbound Travellers 2014, Research Intensive Fund, UiTM
- Rahmat Hashim, Elangkovan Narayan Alagas, Mohd Raziff Jamaludin, &Mohd Hazif Mohd Hanafiah. Individual cognition and innovation behaviour: A model of organizational innovation in Malaysian hospitality business, (FRGS 2017, awaiting final decision)
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Rahmat Hashim & Salleh Mohd Radzi (2004). Entry-level Managerial Competences: A confirmatory approach, TEAM Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 2 (1), pp. 89- 99.
- Rahmat Hashim & Alina Shuhaida Mohd Ramly (2009) Exploring the Relationship between Spirituality and Work Values Amongst Hospitality Students, Journal of Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts, Vol (2), pp. 1-12.
- Rahmat Hashim, Alina Syuhaida Mohd Ramly & Noriza Ishak (2009) A Model of Personal Epistemology, Self-efficacy and Learning Styles, AFBE Journal, Vol. 2(1), pp. 45- 57.
- Salim Abd Talib, Rahmat Hashim, Mukesh & Karutan Chinna (2009). Segmenting the fine dining restaurant market via consumers' purchasing orientation, Journal of International Business and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 14(1), pp.37-56.
- Rahmat Hashim, Artinah Zainal, Ahmad Nizan Zali & Shahariah Ibrahim (2009) Epistemological beliefs and self-directed learning readiness of hospitality students: the necessary precursors to academic performance, Asian Journal of University Education, Vol. 5(1), pp.25-45.
- Salim Abd Talib, Rahmat Hashim, Mukesh & Karutan Chinna (2010) Consumers Purchasing Orientation, Journal of Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts, Vol. 1(3), pp. 34-45.
- Zamri Ahmad and Rahmat Hashim (2010) Customer’s Brand Equity and Customer Loyalty: A Study on Hotel’s Conference Market, World Applied Sciences Journal, Vol. 12, Special Issue, pp. 44-49, (indexed ISI/ Scopus/ERA).
- Salim Abd Talib, Rahmat Hashim, Mukesh & Karutan Chinna (2012). Malaysian Fine Dining Restaurants: Profiling of consumers’ demographics and dining out behavior and determination of purchasing orientation via demographic features, Journal of Global Business and Economics, Vol. 5 (1), pp. 50-71.
- Mazalan Mifli, Rahmat Hashim & Artinah Zainal (2016). Product Innovation Process of Chain Restaurants: A New Empirical Perspective Using Statistical Paradigms, Advanced Science Letters, Vol 21, (6), pp. 1767-1771. (Scopus)
- Mazalan Mifli, Rahmat Hashim & Artinah Zainal (2016). Managing menu innovation in a saturated market: An empirical evidence from the Chain restaurants in Malaysia, Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Nov 5, doi: 10.1177/1467358415614347. (Scopus)
- Mohd Hairi Jalis & Rahmat Hashim (2010). Gastronomy Tourism: What can be done about it, in Mohd Sallehudin Mond Zahari (ed) in Gastronomy: An opportunity for Malaysia, Shah Alam: University Press
- Mazalan Mifli, Rahmat Hashim, & Artinah Zainal (2015) The impact of food trends on menu innovation, Angelo A. Camillo (ed) Handbook of Research on Global Hospitality and Tourism Management, IGI Global Publication.
- Mohd Salehuddin Mohd Zahari, Rahmat Hashim, Salleh Mohd Radzi and Zulhan Othman (2010). Restaurant Service Delivery and Customer Patronization, Shah Alam: UiTM Press/UPENA
- Mohd Salehuddin Mohd Zahari, Rahmat Hashim, Salleh Mohd Radzi and Zulhan Othman (2010) Intention and Commitment to Career in Hotel Industry: What do Malaysian Hospitality Program Students Think? Shah Alam: UiTM Press/UPENA
- Artinah zainal, Salleh Mohd Radzi, Rahmat Hashim, Chemah Tamby & Rozita Abu (eds) (2012). Current Issues in Hospitality and Tourism (Eds), London: CRC, Taylor and Francis.
- Maimunah Aminuddin, Rahmat Hashim & Norazhar Baba (2012). Human Resource in Hospitality Management, Kuala Lumpur: Oxford Fajar Sdn. Bhd.
- Rahmat Hashim (2002). Managerial Competence & Curriculum planning, Proceeding International Seminar on Hospitality and Tourism, Edith Cowen University, Sheraton Imperial, KL, 1-3 July.
- Rahmat Hashim (2005). Spirituality, Work Values and Career Intention, Proceeding 3rd ApacChrie Conference 26-29 May 2005, Shangri-La Hotel KL
- Rahmat Hashim & Artinah Zainal (2008) Epistemological Beliefs, Self-Directed Learning and Students’ Academic Performance: A study amongst hospitality students, 4th ApacChrie Conference, 21-24 May Perth Australia.
- Rahmat Hashim & Alina Shuhaida Mohd Ramly (2008) Exploring the Relationship between Spirituality and Work Values Amongst Hospitality Students, INCULT conference, Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, 2008.
- Rahmat Hashim ; Salehuddin Mohd Zahari ; Salleh Mohd Radzi & Saidatul Afzan Abd Aziz (2010). Malaysian hospitality managerial knowledge: A competence model approach, International Conference on Science and Social Research, Concorde Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Scopus indexed)
- Fadzilah, S.; Artinah, Z. & Rahmat, H. (2011). The Moderating Role of Changed Behavior in the Relationship between Work Environment and Frontline Service Performance. Paper presented at TTRA Europe Chapter Conference, Archamps, France, April 11-13, 2011.
- Mohd Raziff Jamaluddin, Rahmat Hashim & Mohd Hafiz Hanafiah (2011). Service Failure and Service Recovery: a case of Three-Star Hotel Segment in Malaysia, paper presented at The 12th International Research Symposium on Service Excellence in Management, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 2-5, 2011.
- Mohd Raziff Jamaluddin, Rahmat Hashim & Mohd Hafiz Hanafiah (2011). Preserving in Five-star Hotel, paper presented at The 12th International Research Symposium on Service Excellence in Management, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 2-5, 2011.
- Salim Abd Talib, Rahmat Hashim, Mukesh & Karutan China (2012). Malaysian fine dining restaurants: profiling of consumers demographics and dining-out behavior and determination of purchasing orientation via demographic features, paper presented at 3rd ICBER 2012, Golden Flower Hotel, Bandung Indonesia, March 12-13, 2012 (best paper award) .
- Hasiful Fata & Rahmat Hashim (2012). Homestay destination: Assessing destination’s food image, tourists’ satisfaction and tourists’ revisit intention, International Hospitality and Tourism Conference, Kuala Lumpur, 2-5 Sept. 2012 (Indexed Scopus).
- Muhd Syahir Muhd Stamam, Salleh Mohd Radzi & Rahmat Hashim (2012). Food and Beverage Technology and Employee Acceptance, International Hospitality and Tourism Conference, Kuala Lumpur, 2-5 Sept. 2012. (indexed Scopus)
- Mazalan Mifli, Rahmat Hashim & Artinah Zainal (2014). The Moderating Effect of market Saturation and Food Trends on product Innovation Process Strategy, Tourism & Hospitality Conference and 11th Asia Tourism Forum, 18-20 May 2014, Hotel ICON Hong Kong (indexed).
- Mazalan Mifli, Rahmat Hashim & Artinah Zainal (2015). Product Innovation Process of Chain Restaurants: A New Empirical Perspective Using Statistical Paradigms, International Conference on Business, Management, Tourism and Hospitality 2015, 12-14 May 2015, Swiss-Garden Hotel & Residences Melaka (Indexed Scopus).
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Visiting Fellowship (2012 - 2013), University of Toulouse 2 le Mirail, France
- Chair, Asia-Euro Conference (2016-2018) in Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy, Taylor’s University, Malaysia Held in Gwalior, India
- Board Member (2012-Present), Asia Pacific, Journal of Innovation in Hospitality & Tourism, Taylor’s Press, Malaysia
- Scientific Committee Member, Asia-Euro Conference (2006-2008-2010-2012-2014) in Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy, Taylor’s University, Malaysia
- Deputy Chair, Asia Pacific CHRIE Conference (2004), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Rahmat Hashim (2004). Reflections in Teaching Methodology, Reflection- Hal Ehwal Akademik, UiTM
- Rahmat Hashim (2013). Rethinking Knowledge and Competence in Hospitality Education (editorial), Journal of Hotel Business Management, Vol. 2 (1), p.106.
- Rahmat Hashim (2014). Construction of Thought: Defining hospitality knowledge and education, 12Manage -The knowledge network on management, http://www.12manage.com/
- Media Programme: In Conversation Discussion Topic/Title: The Function of Tourism Educators Association of Malaysia MYTTV- www.mytourismtv.com
Scholarly Activities/Industry Experience
- Chairperson, MQA Programme Standards for Hospitality, Tourism and Culinaru Arts, 2012
- External Examiner, PhD Thesis, UiTM, University Tun Razak (Unirazak) Malaysia
- Invited speaker, GCC-ASEAN, Seminar on Business Opportunity in the Gulf Council (GCC), 2011, Pan Pacific KLIA, Sepang Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
- Technical Working Group (TWG): Tourism Labour Market and Training Need Analysis, Ministry of Tourism & Culture- Policy, Planning and International Affairs Division
- Editorial Committee, TEAM Journal, 2012-present
- (Invited Speaker/Panelist), Hospitality Education in Globalized Environment, MATTA Annual Conference 2012, Transforming Tourism Industry in Malaysia Towards 2020, Dewan Tun Hussein Onn, PWTC Kuala Lumpur.
- Putra Business School Associate, Universiti Putra Malaysia (2013-present)
- Committee Member, Malaysia Industry Standard (ISC-Tourism, Exhibition & Hospitality Services), SIRIM (2016-present)
- Reviewer, Journal of Foodservice Business Research (Scopus).
- International Advisory Board, International Journal of Knowledge Management 2016 (Scopus)
Awards & Honours
- 1993 – Bronze Medal (Asian Cold Platter) - Culinaire Malaysia93, Malaysia Association of Hotels & Chef Association of Malaysia
- 2008 – Gold Medal, IID-Universiti Teknologi MARA
- 2009 – Bronze Medal-Suri Cockles, iTEX- BioMalaysia, Malaysia
- 2009 – Bronze Medal -Amli Licorice Candy, iTEX-BioMalaysia, Malaysia
- 2009 – Best paper award, International Conference on Marketing and Retailing (INCOMAR 2009), 8-10 July 2009, Equatorial Hotel, Melaka, Malaysia.
- 2012 – Best paper award, 3rd ICBER 2012, Golden Flower Hotel, Bandung Indonesia
- 1997, 2005, 2012 – Excellence Service/Teaching Award, Universiti Teknologi MARA
- 2013 – Silver Medal- Roselle Natural Colorant in Red Velvet- IID&E Universiti Teknologi MARA
- 2015-present – Fellow - World Business Institute (WBI)
- President – Tourism Educators Association of Malaysia (TEAM) (2012-2014)
- Member – IEEE (2015-present)
- Member – Academy of Management (AOM), USA (2011-2016)
- Member – Institute of Hospitality UK (2012-present)